Delicious Double Chocolate Espresso Zucchini Muffins
These double chocolate espresso zucchini muffins will win over even the most stubborn vegetable eaters!
Do you have a garden full of zucchini and want to make something other than Zoodles? Well, these double chocolate espresso zucchini muffins are a moist chocolaty delight.
While most people associate zucchini with savory meals, these summer squashes have a sneaky way of finding their way into baked goods.
And why not? It’s always fun to find new and creative ways to use up our ingredients and have even more recipes to pull from for our families.
And heck, throw in 2 types of chocolate and a shot of espresso, and you’ve got yourself a dessert and a cup of coffee in one.
You will need the following ingredients
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- All-purpose flour
- Espresso coffee
- Brown sugar
- Unsweetened apple sauce
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Vanilla extract/Salt/Baking soda
How to make double chocolate espresso zucchini muffins
1) Start by grating your zucchinis. If you are using large zucchinis, you will need to manually squeeze the excess fluid from them once grated.
If you are using small/medium zucchinis, still give them a quick squeeze but make sure you do not remove all the fluid from the zucchinis or the batter will end up too dry.
2) Mix your dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking soda.
3) In a separate bowl, add all your wet ingredients together and gently mix them together.
- Melted semi-cooled butter, brown sugar, unsweetened apple sauce, cooled brewed espresso, and room temperature eggs.
4) When everything is ready to go, start by combining your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients bowl.
5) Gently mix in the shredded zucchini. Fold in 3/4 cup of your mini chocolate chips. Do not over mix the batter.
6) Fill each muffin cup 3/4 of the way and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of your muffin cups.
Why use espresso coffee?
These double chocolate espresso zucchini muffins are not overly sweet. But the use of espresso enhances the chocolaty flavor in these muffins giving them the taste of rich dark chocolate.
Note: If you do not have access to an Espresso machine, you can use strong cold coffee instead or some instant coffee.
You won’t get the exact same rich flavor but it can be used as a substitute.
Enjoy the summer months by trying out new and fun ways to use up your garden vegetables.
Let me know your thoughts on these delights.
If you enjoyed these muffins, then I’m sure you will love my favorite cookies;
SOFT AND CHEWY WHITE CHOCOLATE MACADAMIA NUT COOKIES YOU NEED TO MAKE!
Dutch is the author of Vanilla Nomad, Monday’s Not Coming, and Let Me Hear a Rhyme. A professional chef by day, and novelist by night. She received her bachelor of arts in film from Kingsborough Community College and her master of cooking from the New School. A Brooklyn native; she is a lover of naps, cookie dough, and beaches. Currently residing in the borough she loves, most likely multitasking. You can visit her online at https://vanillanomad.com